Monday 14 November 2011

Delight in Doing The Lord's Work

(Psalms 40:8) I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart."

I recently attended the 50th birthday party of an old school friend (kind of gives away my age). It was a great evening and naturally at the end of the evening he gave a little speech. In this speech he imagined himself having a conversation with a stranger in a cafe. It went something like this.

Stranger: How many children do you have?

Friend: I have six.

Stranger: Wow, and where do you live?

Friend: Oh I live in a good part of town. I live in a five bedroom house and we overlook the neighbours swimming pool.

Stranger: And you have cars?

Friend: Yes my family have two cars.

Stranger: And your children, which school do they go to?

Friend: They go to a private school.

Stranger: Fantastic, and where do you go on holiday?

Friend: The last few holidays have been spent on the beach in Thailand.

Stranger: I'm so in awe of you. You must be extremely rich?

Friend: No my family and I haven't got a penny to our name.

When you look at the detail, my old school friend's lifestyle isn't quite as it seems. Yes having been married 18 years he and his wife have been blessed with six wonderful children.

The house they live in is owned by one of the organisations that he works for.

He does have two cars but he confesses that to call one of them "a car" is flattering said vehicle. The other acts purely as a family run-around.

The private education for the children comes courtesy of part time work he does for the school.

And the holiday? Well that is the give-away. He has spent the last eleven years in Thailand doing mission work. You see for the past twenty five years he and his wife have been doing God's work. His mission work has taken him to many countries visiting the poor, the sick and the vulnerable and he has spread the Word of the Lord where-ever he's gone.

He counts his blessings. He can see that the Lord has provided him with a wonderful life but he has willingly given his life to doing God's work. His faithfullness has been rewarded.

My old school friend may not have "net worth" but he has much more than that. He has the love of God, the love of a wonderful family and the love of some great friends.

How fantastic is that?

Terry Norrington

http://www.christian-charity-world.com/

www.christian-charity-world.com/shopwindow.html

http://www.cryinthedark.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment